14 January 2014

Something new

I took a peek at the A2Z Scraplets blog and noticed the January challenge is to "do something you've never done before".  I thought about the myriad of scrapbooking and other projects I've done over the years and wondered where the creative gaps were.  Several things came to mind:   
      washi tape   
      texture paste
      papers/products from certain scrap brands

I don't have any washi tape or texture paste, and I don't want to go out and spend up on new products right now (though the notion is VERY tempting and has endless possibilities!)  I have a mountain of stash already, so... I went searching for a technique I could try using my existing stash.

After browsing online and in some magazines, I decided to try adding paper rolls to my layout.  I started by selecting some older paper scraps that matched my colour scheme, and then I just played around to see what worked.  It was a bit of trial and error, but basically I rolled the paper pieces around a bamboo skewer, then removed the skewer and fastened with double sided tape.  I found that rolling parallel to the paper edge was too hard and it didn't hold shape.  It was easier to roll the paper diagonally - it held shape much better BUT made the rolls a bit bulkier that I originally envisaged.

I think perhaps this technique is better suited to cards or canvas projects, and I'm not likely to do it again on a layout.  But anyways... I tried something new and I'm reasonably happy with the result.

My embellishment is made from an A2Z Scraplets Paisley 46 chipboard flourish - which I painted with Jo Sonja's Unbleached Titanium paint and coated with Dimensional Magic:



 This is my layout:



Other materials:
Echo Park Life is Good patterned paper
Lil Davis Crillon patterned paper
K&Company Blue Awning patterned paper
Three Bugs in a Rug Rhapsody patterned paper
American Crafts Thickers - Shoebox alphabets
Cosmo Cricket Tiny Type alphabet stickers
Lil Davis Away We Go journalling sticker

Digital brushes used on photograph:
Baroque frames by Lileya
Border brushes by Piyocola

3 comments :

  1. Karen, I love your layout and the new technique you used to make embellishments for it. Looks great! Thanks for participating the challenge this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to see how you scrapped this same photo as your daughter! Love the brushes you added to the photo and love those paper rolls!!
    Loving your blog ... going to browse a bit more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the paper rolls
    I'm glad you tried our new challenge
    What an amazing photo and I love the paisley you added too!
    Thanks for playing aling

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to leave a message :)